Subject Re: dbf corrupt file?
From Mervyn Bick <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2014 09:14:05 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 01:37:56 +0200, Hector Nunez <Zenun.hector@gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I had a corrupted dbf file I used a program called Filefix.exe that
> I think i got it from a friend of mine that used to code in foxpro. its
> works real well in repair all those old files , I included my email so
> if you want email me and I shoot the program for you.
> Hector Nunez
>
>> Early 90's a  NASA computer program student built for me a retail
>> inventory program on Dbase 3+.  Has worked fine til now.  Will no
>> longer work on the XP computers..laptop or desktop...nor on Win 7.
>> Works on a laptop with Vista but not on a desktop with Vista.  Is there
>> any program which will repair a corrupt dbf file?  thx

There are MANY programs purporting to repair corrupted .dbf file
available.  Some are free, some are not.  (Google "fix corrupted .dbf
files")

When one has a problem one will try anything so by all means try
Filefix.exe.  Whether it works or not is dependent on what's wrong with
the .dbf file and what anomalies Filefix tries to rectify.  It should,
however, not be run on the only copy of the .dbf file in case it
completely screws it up.  First prize is that the data gets recovered.
If, on the other hand, Filefix fails then one can at least get back to
square one to try a different "fix" program or for some manual hacking. <g>

I doubt though that a corrupt .dbf file is actually the cause of Randy's
problem as he says that the program works on a Vista laptop but not on a
variety of other machines.  By saying "works" I assume Randy means that he
can display, and add or modify, the data.  To me, this sounds more like an
installation, or even permissions, problem on the other computers rather
than a corrupt .dbf file.  There will be more clarity when Randy comes
back with more details.

Mervyn.