Subject Re: INVALID INDEX DESCRIPTOR
From Ivar B. Jessen <nospam@nospam.com>
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:01:40 +0200
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 21:41:19 -0400 Bruce Heath
Sender:  Bruce Heath <bah@specsol.com.au>
wrote the following in:
Newsgroup: dbase.getting-started
Subject: INVALID INDEX DESCRIPTOR:
MessageID:<YxYD1AWoPHA.2792@ip-0AF2DFD4>

>Hi - I'm new to Visual dBase and have just purchased Dbase 9.
>I'm trying to create a table with an attached index.
>
>Table creates - no problems - only 3 columns and about 3000 rows.
>
>Go to create index ("complex" type) with structure :
>
>TRIM(field_1)+TRIM(field_2)      **Both fields are character type
>
>On trying to save the file I get :

Read the warning in the help file, subject INDEX.

"Warning!

Do not create an index where the length of the index key expression varies from
record to record. Specifically, do not use TRIM( ) or LTRIM( ) to remove blanks
from strings unless you compensate by adding enough spaces to make sure the
index key values are all the same length. The - operator concatenates strings
while rearranging trailing blanks. Varied key lengths may cause corrupted

Ivar B. Jessen