Subject Re: INVALID INDEX DESCRIPTOR
From Roger Sauer <anon@none.com>
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 19:45:31 -0700
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

One possibility:  You're using a Level 7 table but the BDE is set to a lower
level.

Try this:

1. Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
2. From the Windows Control Panel select "BDE Administrator".

3. Select the Configuration tab.

4. Choose Drivers > Native > DBASE.

5. If the value for LEVEL is not 7, change it.

6. Click Object > Apply to save the change.

Roger

"Bruce Heath"  wrote in message news:YxYD1AWoPHA.2792@ip-0AF2DFD4...

Hi - I'm new to Visual dBase and have just purchased Dbase 9.
I'm trying to create a table with an attached index.

Table creates - no problems - only 3 columns and about 3000 rows.

Go to create index ("complex" type) with structure :

TRIM(field_1)+TRIM(field_2)      **Both fields are character type

On trying to save the file I get :

"Database Engine Error :  Invalid Index Descriptor : D:\DBASE9\IC
PROGRAMS\Tem5BBC.tmX"

I assume that the file involved is a temporary file being renamed by the DBE
to something else and stalling - but I don't know why!

Any ideas?

Regards,

Bruce