Subject Re: dbase9 win 8.1 using a exe file with setup in the file name causes
From Bruce Beacham <bbeacham@no-plm-lowman.co.uk>
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2014 15:49:59 +0100
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

On 12/07/2014 06:20, Ness Stephens wrote:
> I have just purchased this computer running windows 8.1 having
> previously just using dbase 2.6.0.1 om a XP computer for all my
> programming.
> The settings of my computer are all set to the defaults when you install
> windows 8.1
>
> The UAC settings were set on "Notify me only when programs try to make
> changes to my computer"
> I changed the UAC settings to highest level and my programs still run
> without the UAC msg Unknown Publisher etc.
> I do not use manifest files with my programs

OK, that's interesting.   Thanks.

I imagine that if you are not using a manifest file then Windows assumes
"asInvoker" and your user is not then permitted to write to C:\Program
Files\ and other sensitive places.    For that reason Windows does not
need the ask the user whether the app has permission to alter your computer.

Bruce