Subject Re: Windows 8 - dBase 2.8 installation incompatability?
From Pieter van Heerden <psvh@mweb.co.za>
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2014 10:00:37 -0400
Newsgroups dbase.getting-started

Bruce Beacham Wrote:

> On 04/04/2014 14:43, Pieter van Heerden wrote:
> > If I run my application under Windows 8, starting in dBase through
> > the Applicationname.prg, the application runs sweetly, with
> > everything in place.  If I install on Windows 8 , I get an error
> > message on Windows 8: "Could not load plusrun.exe, error 740".  The
> > advised additions/changes have been made.
>
> I find I get this when the manifest has "asInvoker" but not when the
> manifest has "Administrator".    But that's on an OS < 8, I don't have a
> Win8 machine to play with.
>
> Of course, the Administrator route means that the user gets asked by UAC
> every time whether the app is OK to be run...

How do I prevent that question being asked every time the application is loaded?

> > If I install  on a Windows 7 computer, the application runs, except
> > that it links up to a wrong menu file, its menu is replaced by
> > another one.
>
> That is surely an app error of some sort, isn't it?   Could the wrong
> menu file have been saved, compiled and installed under the menufile
> name of the correct file?
>
> Try superseding the menufile with a menufile placed in a DEO folder.
>  From the OLH:
> "dBASE Plus searches objects as follows:
>
> It looks in the "home" folder from which the application was launched.
>
> It looks in the .ini file to see if there's a series of search paths
> specified. It checks all the paths in the list looking for the object
> file requested by the application.
>
> It looks inside the application's .exe file, the way Visual dBASE did in
> the past."
>

> > If I install it on an XP computer, it starts up, shows the flash
> > screen and then dies off.
>
> Ensure you have an XP manifest file.   I believe they changed on the way
> into Vista.   Here is the plusrun manifest for XP:

> <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
> <assemblyIdentity
>      version="1.0.0.0"
>      processorArchitecture="X86"
>      name="PLUSRUN.EXE"
>      type="win32"
> />
> <description>PLUSRUN.EXE Manifest</description>
> <dependency>
>          <dependentAssembly>
>                  <assemblyIdentity
>                          type="win32"
>                          name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
>                          version="6.0.0.0"
>                          processorArchitecture="X86"
>                          publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
>                          language="*"
>                  />
>          </dependentAssembly>
> </dependency>
> </assembly>

Different apparently manifest files for different operating systems are included under ...\plus\runtime\ ....,  identigfied as .mf files.  Does dBase or an application automatically select a correct one, depending on the system it is run on, or does a developer have to rename those files as .exe.manifest files.  If so, and if the develper has no control over who uses the application on what system, how is this problem going to be managed?